Submit a FOIA Request
How to Submit a FOIA Request
Three different methods are available for submitting FOIA requests:
- Online Form - Submit your request using a form that is fillable online. This is the preferred method for submitting requests.
Submit a FOIA Request Online
- Postal Mail or Courier - Submit your request by mailing the required documentation to:
Department of Defense Office of Inspector General
DoD OIG FOIA Requester Service Center
ATTN: FOIA Request Office, Suite 10B24
4800 Mark Center Drive
Alexandria, VA 22350-1500
- Facsimile (Fax) – Submit your request by facsimile to:
Guidelines for Submitting a FOIA Request
- Requesters should provide complete contact information (Full Name, Mailing Address, Telephone Number, and e-mail address, if available).
- Requesters must reasonably describe the records sought and provide sufficient details to enable personnel to locate those records with a reasonable amount of effort. To avoid unnecessary delays in processing, requesters are encouraged to be specific about the description of the record(s) and when and by whom the record(s) was created (e.g., September 24, 1993, Memorandum from the DoD Inspector General, Subject: Fiscal Year 1994 Budget). Try to keep your request simple and to the point. Highly complex requests that cover many years and a large number of subjects take more time to process. Complex requests typically require extensive coordination and often consultation with other agencies.
- If you are seeking records on yourself, this is a Privacy Act request and you may need to provide proof of identity. If you are requesting records about another individual, you may be required to provide a Privacy Act waiver from that person before your request will be processed.
- DoD Names Policy - For operational safety reasons, DoD does not routinely release lists of names of DoD personnel. This includes active duty military, civilian employees, contractors, members of the National Guard and Reserves, military dependents, and Coast Guard personnel when the Coast Guard is operating as a service in the Navy. Please see Director of Administration and Management Memorandum, Subject: Withholding of Personally Identifying Information Under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), November 9, 2001 for further information pertaining to this policy.