July 21, 2017 —
Our objective was to determine whether the Department of Defense (DoD) Global Train and Equip Program, created pursuant to Public Law 109-163, National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2006, Section 1206 (2006),1 as amended, henceforth "Section 1206," effectively managed and enhanced partner-nation security-force capabilities.
Our specific objectives were to determine whether Section 1206:
- efforts resulted in improved partner nation capability to conduct counterterrorism operations or to participate in stability operations with U.S. Armed Forces,
- performance-feedback data informed DoD Section 1206 program decision making,
- was administered by DoD officials
- consistent with U.S. statutes and guidance, and
- coordination between the DoD and the Department of State (DOS) at all levels appropriately supported planning and execution.