Nov. 13, 2017 —
Our objective is to evaluate the operations and management processes and procedures at the Army National Military Cemeteries comprised of the Arlington National Cemetery (ANC) and the U.S. Soldiers' and Airmen's Home National Cemetery (SAHNC)), and military cemeteries under the control of the military departments. Specifically, we will:
- follow-up on recommendations from previous reports:
- DoDIG-2013-098, "Assessment of U.S. Military Cemeteries," and
- DoDIG-2014-026, "Assessment of Arlington and·S0ldiers1 and Airmen1s Home National Cemeteries";
- review status and implementation of · appropriate · DoD, Army Navy, and Airforce cemetery regulations;
- evaluate gravesite accountability, including the reliability of information technology systems used to schedule, plan, account for, and accurately document the
- remains interred or inurned at the cemeteries;
- review contracting processes for, and _oversight of, contracts supporting military cemeteries;
- review implementation of title 10 United States Code, chapter466, "Army National Military Cemeteries," and Headquarters, Department of the Army General.
- Order 2017-01 '' Assignment of Functions and Responsibilities within Headquarters, Department of the Army," with a focus on the responsibilities of. the
- Executive Director of the Army National Cemeteries _Program; and
- determine the causes for the increased backlog in pending interments and inurnments at ANC.