The Oversight Plan describes our planned oversight projects, linked with one or more of the top management and performance challenges facing the DoD. In this document, we briefly describe the top management and performance challenges facing the DoD and discuss the oversight projects we intend to conduct that relate to each of those challenges.
At the end of this Oversight Plan, we provide an appendix (Appendix 1) of all projects by the responsible office.
The top 10 DoD management and performance challenges are not listed in order of importance or by magnitude of the challenge. All are critically important management challenges facing the DoD. As reflected in this document, the top DoD management and performance challenges are:
1. Implementing DoD Reform Initiatives
2. Countering China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea
3. Countering Global Terrorism
4. Financial Management: Implementing Timely and Effective Actions to Address Financial
Management Weaknesses Identified During the First DoD-Wide Financial Statement Audit
5. Improving Cybersecurity and Cyber Capabilities
6. Ensuring Ethical Conduct
7. Enhancing Space-Based Operations, Missile Detection and Response, and Nuclear Deterrence
8. Improving Readiness Throughout the DoD
9. Acquisition and Contract Management: Ensuring that the DoD Gets What It Pays For On Time, at
a Fair Price, and With the Right Capabilities
10. Providing Comprehensive and Cost-Effective Health Care