The Top DoD Management Challenges document identifies the top management and performance challenges impacting the DoD for FY 2023 and beyond. Each Inspector General is required by law to prepare this annual statement summarizing what the IG considers the “most serious management and performance challenges facing the agency.” These challenges are based on the DoD OIG’s independent research, assessment, and judgment; previous oversight work and oversight work of other organizations; congressional hearings and legislation; input from DoD officials; and issues raised by the media. The DoD OIG also considers and assesses the DoD’s progress in addressing these challenges. This report provides Congress and the DoD’s civilian and military leaders an independent assessment of the management and performance challenges confronting the DoD. Finally, the Top DoD Management Challenges document must be included in the DoD’s annual financial report.
The FY 2023 Top DoD Management Challenges are:
1. Building Enduring Advantages for Strategic Competition
2. Strengthening Cyberspace Operations and Securing Systems, Networks, and Data
3. Maintaining Superiority Through a Resilient Defense Industrial Base
4. Improving Financial Management and Budgeting
5. Adapting to Climate Change, Accelerating Resilience, and Protecting the Environment
6. Protecting the Health and Wellness of Service Members and Their Families
7. Recruiting and Retaining a Diverse Workforce
8. Accelerating the Transformation to a Data-Centric Organization
The numerical designators for each challenge do not represent order of significance or severity. All identified challenges impact the DoD’s ability to optimally execute its mission—to provide the military forces needed to deter war and protect the Nation’s security.