Submit an Appeal
Three different methods are available for submitting FOIA Appeals:
- Online Form – If you have a FOIA online account, please login in to your account and submit an appeal under the corresponding request.
- Postal Mail or Courier - Submit your request by mailing the required documentation to:
Department of Defense Office of Inspector General
DoD OIG FOIA Requester Service Center
ATTN: FOIA Appellate Authority, Suite 10B24
4800 Mark Center Drive
Alexandria, VA 22350-1500
- Facsimile (Fax) – Submit your request by facsimile to (571) 372-7498.
Guidelines for Submitting an Appeal
The Chief, Freedom of Information Division, processes appeals for the DOD OIG. Requesters who want to submit an appeal should follow the guidance provided in the “How to Submit a FOIA Request” section, and include your original request number and date of the initial determination in any communication/submission. Requesters may appeal any determination that they consider to be adverse. The following are adverse determinations and are subject to appeal:
- A requested record is denied in whole or in part.
- A reasonable search of files failed to identify responsive records.
- The disapproval of a fee category claim by a requester, the disapproval of a request for waiver or reduction of fees, and a dispute regarding fee estimates.
- A determination not to grant expedited processing.
- Not providing a response determination to a FOIA request within the statutory time limits.
- Any other determination found to be adverse in nature by the requester.