Obtaining Military Records


The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR) is the repository for all military personnel, service, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services during the 20th century.  All records of military service can be obtained through the National Archives and Records Administration at:  http://www.archives.gov/index.html

Limited information such as dates of service, awards, and training is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual's privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number, or present address. If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs.

To obtain a copy of your own DD-214, you may visit this link: 

Military veterans and their next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents at:  http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html

You may also find it helpful to review the following:  Request Copies of Military Personnel Records Online

Here are additional address and telephone contact information:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132

E-mail: MPR.center@nara.gov
Phone: 1-86-NARA-NARA (1-866-272-6272) or 1-800-234-8861
Fax: 1-314-801-9195