Official Use Requests

Federal Government personnel seeking records for an official use are not required to file a FOIA request. Instead, requests for access to records designated "For Official Use Only," "Controlled Unclassified Information," or "Classified" are considered "Official Use" requests. Please be advised that this agency cannot accept "Official Use" requests from contractor employees.

Please do not submit "Official Use" requests through; rather, submit these requests to along with the following information:

  • Name
  • Organization
  • Mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address
  • Detailed description of requested information (title, report number, project number, etc.)
  • Explanation of official need ("need to know") for the information

Please note that "Official Use" requests are subject to review by the issuing DoD OIG component. You may be contacted for additional information. Additionally, this agency may request that a memorandum, signed by a senior official, also be provided in order to obtain a copy of a document "for official use."